Saturday, October 16, 2004

No Grey in my Dream House

Surfing through the architects' sites listed on the AIA Seattle - E-Source Center, there is so much industrial austerity dominating even the residential designs, it's so . . . cold. Sure, some of it is striking, at times even whimsical . . . but not fanciful, and certainly not hospitable.



I saw a home on one of these sites built near Mount Si which is very near where I grew up and it drove home the dissonance; here in western Washington where I have spent all of my 31 years, it's wet. It's green. It's damp. It's beautiful. There should be no grey. No concrete blocks. No grey no grey no grey. We have that overhead quite often. Maybe it's just that I think grey is fucking cold and a home should be a respite from the cold. But grey has no place in my dream house. Capisce?



How come no one is building Tim Burton-like structures instead of these boxes of flim-flam? They're so linear and unwelcoming. Curves, please and fewer right angles!

No comments:

Post a Comment